A flat tire can really ruin your day. Normally it’s best to call a tow truck and let the experts handle it, but if you’re in a pinch and need to get somewhere fast, you can change your tire just by following these 5 simple steps! The experts here at Go Dodge Red Deer have put together these tips so if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road, you can change a tire just like the experts!
Follow these 5 easy steps:
- Move the vehicle onto a flat, solid surface. This is so the jack doesn’t sink into the ground when you try to lift the vehicle. Activate your parking brake so the vehicle doesn’t roll away. Remember to place out warning cones or activate your hazards if attempting this on the side of the road!
- Remove the jack, spare tire, and lug wrench from your vehicle. If you cannot find these parts, check your owner’s manual. It will show you where these parts are tucked away and how to get to them.
- Using the lug wrench, loosen (but don’t remove) the lug nuts while the tire is still on the ground. Then, use the jack to lift the vehicle until the flat tire is off the ground. Now, remove the lug nuts along with the offending tire.
- Place the spare tire on the vehicle and hand-tighten the lug nuts. Carefully lower the vehicle back onto the ground again.
- Use the lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts as much as possible. Return the lug wrench and jack to the vehicle along with the flat tire
Congratulations! You just changed your own tire! Now you can drive to the nearest tire shop to have your flat tire patched or replaced. A couple notes to remember though:
- Many spare tires are not designed to exceed 80 km/h, please don’t exceed the maximum recommended speed for your own safety.
- Many vehicles now come equipped with run-flat tires (RFT). If your vehicle is equipped with such tires, cautiously drive to your nearest tire shop to have them repaired or replaced.
Trust the Experts at Go Dodge Red Deer
If you’re having difficulties changing your tire, or are uncertain about whether your vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires, Book an Appointment with us today! Our team of friendly experts would be happy to help you in any way they can.
Order New Tires
If your tire has become punctured beyond repair, then rest assured that Go Dodge Red Deer has a huge selection of affordable tires to replace it! Our Tire Centre has all the tires you could ever need, so order your new tires today.