Think of engine oil as the blood to your vehicle’s beating heart (the engine)— too much or too little and your vehicle’s heart meets an unfortunate demise. Thankfully, checking to see if you have the right amount of oil takes just a few minutes and three simple steps! Follow along as the experts from Go Dodge Red Deer teach you how to check that your car, truck, or SUV has the proper amount of oil.
Just follow these three simple steps:
- Warm your vehicle up until it reaches normal operating temperature. You should be able to tell when the needle reaches the middle of your temperature gauge. Now that your vehicle is warmed up, turn off the engine and let it sit for around 10 minutes to let the oil settle.
- Open your hood and find your oil dipstick. Typically it is marked with a yellow handle, but if you cannot locate it, check your owner’s manual for its location.
- Pull the dipstick out, clean it, then fully insert it again for the most accurate reading. Pull the dipstick for a second time and see if the oil level is within the markings on the bottom of the dipstick.
Congratulations! You just checked your oil! A couple of quick notes to consider though:
- If your oil level is below the markings, your vehicle may have too little oil— which can be catastrophic! If your vehicle is in need of oil, Book an Appointment with us to have the experts top it off again.
- Clean oil should be golden in colour. If your oil is dark and muddy looking, it’s probably time for an oil change!
- It is normal for vehicles to consume a small amount of oil (around 1 litre every 1,600kms). If you notice your vehicle consuming more oil than this, it may indicate a problem.
If you’re having difficulties checking your oil, or have more questions regarding oil in general, feel free to Contact Us anytime! Our team of expert technicians would be more than happy to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have.